Sahuagin are marine predators superbly adapted to undersea hunting. Also known as sea devils, these beings dwell in coastal waters, forming organized groups that raid shore communities.
Most sahuagin feature green coloration, darker along the back and lighter on the belly. Many have dark stripes, bands, or spots, but these tend to fade with age. An adult male sahuagin stands roughly 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds.
Sahuagin are the natural enemy of aquatic elves. The two cannot coexist peacefully: Wars between them are prolonged, bloody affairs that sometimes interfere with shipping and maritime trade.
Sahuagin Racial Traits
- Type (Subtype): Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Abilities: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis.
- Size: Medium
- Speed: A sahuagin's base land speed is 30 ft, and has a swim speed of 60 ft.
- Armor Class: +5 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Sahuagin have two primary claw attacks that deal 1d4 + Str mod points of slashing damage, and a secondary bite attack that deals 1d4 + 1/2 Str mod points of bludgeoning and piercing damage.
- Special Attacks:
- Blood Frenzy: Once per day a sahuagin that takes damage in combat can fly into a frenzy in the following round, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +2 Constitution and +2 Strength, and takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. A sahuagin cannot end its frenzy voluntarily.
- Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +2 melee, damage 1d4+1. A sahuagin also gains two rake attacks when it attacks while swimming.
- Special Qualities:
- Blindsense (Ex): A sahuagin can locate creatures underwater within a 30-foot radius. This ability works only when the sahuagin is underwater.
- Darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Freshwater Sensitivity (Ex): A sahuagin fully immersed in fresh water must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 10 minutes it remains immersed.
- Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds sahuagin for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled while operating in bright light.
- Speak with Sharks (Ex): Sahuagin can communicate telepathically with sharks up to 150 feet away. The communication is limited to fairly simple concepts such as "food," "danger," and "enemy." Sahuagin can use the Handle Animal skill to befriend and train sharks.
- Water Dependent (Ex): Sahuagin can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).
- Racial Hit Dice: A sahuagin begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A sahuagin's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Handle Animal, Hide, Listen, Profession (Hunter), Spot, Survival, and Swim. Sahuagin have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks, a +4 racial bonus on Survival and Profession (hunter) checks within 50 miles of its home, a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks when working with sharks, and a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. Sahuagin can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
- Racial Feats: Sahuagin gain Multiattack as a bonus feat. A sahuagin's monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
- Weapon Proficiency: Sahuagin are automatically proficient with the trident, and light/heavy crossbows.
- Automatic Languages: Sahuagin. Bonus languages: Aquan, Common, Infernal, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Ranger (male) or Cleric (female).
- Level Adjustment: +2 (+3 if 4-armed).
About one in two hundred sahuagin has four arms. Such creatures gain the mutant subtype and can make four claw attacks or use extra weapons, in addition to the claw and bite attacks.
|Aberration • Construct • Dragon • Elemental • Fey • Giant • Humanoid • Monstrous Humanoid • Outsider • Plant • Undead|
|Arthropodian • Aurochian • Enhanced • Irradiated • Living Construct • Living Dead • Reptilian|