Aurochians (pronounced or-aw-key-ins), also known as Half-Minotaur, are the descendants of humanoids and minotaurs. The cataclysms that sundered the world also fractured societies, leaving many people to fend for themselves in a confusing and broken world. Some reverted to almost tribal living, forming bands of survivors in order to live. At the same time, many minotaurs were released from their earthly prisons and began to roam the world. This led to an interesting relationship, with bands of survivors following the minotaurs. As minotaurs possess the supernatural ability to never get lost, tribes with a minotaur leaders could travel with relative ease and safety, allowing their numbers to grow. After generations of interbreeding the result was Aurochians; more man than a Minotaur yet more bovine than a man. Today, they are content with living on the farm, tending to their herds and living a simple life. Those who have more chaotic tendencies usually leave their home in search of adventure, putting their sailing skills to use as they travel the world.
On the whole, Aurochians are much more docile and even tempered than their Minotaur ancestors. They’ve adopted more of a herd mentality than the more solitary, isolated lifestyle their forefathers once had. Most Aurochians have very protective tendencies, caring deeply for the members of their herd. Male Aurochians tend to be the most protective, but are also more brash than their female counterparts. Female Aurochians are gentler than their male counterparts, and adopt a more nurturing motherly mentality towards their fellow herd mates. A favorite Aurochian past time is to lay in the shade when the sun is at it's highest and brush each other's hair. Above all Aurochians seek a herd or group to be a part of, and may change their personality to try and fit. Aurochians who go too long without a herd often find themselves going mad of the loneliness.
Aurochians stand from 6-9 ft tall, and appear mostly human with some bovine traits. They have cow horns, as well as cow ears, tails and hooves. Aurochians have more pronounced sexually dimorphic traits than some other races; males are stronger and have longer horns as well as being taller than the females of the race, while the females are shorter, have nubbier horns, and less muscle definition than the males.
Aurochians, being a simple farming folk, tend not to step on any toes and are on generally friendly terms with other sentient races. They are especially friendly with other monstrous races, such as Ibixians, Yakfolk, Minotaurs, Catfolk, Centaurs, and Dogfolk. They do, however, hate Gnolls with a passion, and often get angered by their very presence.
Aurochians can be found of any alignment, as they will gladly adapt to fit in with any group they can, but most females tend towards neutral good while most males tend towards chaotic good. The herd mentality is strong in Aurochians, and they often will try to help their fellow herd mates whenever they can.
As the world fell apart the Aurochians roamed all over world, by air and by sea. As such they can be found pretty much anywhere, though they prefer wide flat plains where they can graze and farm easily.
Most Aurochians favor Chauntea (FRCS), the goddess of agriculture and farming. She aligns well with most Aurochians philosophies and ideologies. For those with stronger familial ties, Hathor (FRCS) is the god of choice. Those that prefer life in the open skies tend to follow Valkur (FRCS) or Farlaghn, for their love of sailing and travel respectively.
Aurochians speak their own language, Moo-enese, which is a variant of Giant, (treated as Giant for all intents and purposes), as well as Common. Bonus languages include Auran, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, Terran.
Aurochian naming conventions include a first name and a clan name, as well as a filial name. Before adulthood, an Aurochian goes by their filial name which is given by their parents (usually their mother). After reaching adulthood, an Aurochian chooses their own name which signifies their status as members of the community, typically composed of an adjective and a noun. Finally, their clan name is whatever the herd calls themselves, usually based on their geographical location or skills/profession. A typical Aurochian name is structured as so: Bighorn of the Verdant Fields; Sweetmilk of the Seaside Wanderers; Hooflet of the Sky Sailor clan.
Hooflet, Littlehorn, Swingtail, etc.
Longhorn, Bighorn, Boulderhoof, Bull, etc.
Greenbriar, Fielding, Sweetling, Bessamie, etc.
Sky Grazers, Ironhoof Clan, Silverhorns, etc.
Aurochians Racial Traits
- Type (Subtype): Monstrous Humanoid (Aurochian)
- Abilities: +4 STR, -2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 INT, +2 CHA (Male) or +2 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON, -2 INT, +2 WIS (Female)
- Size: Medium
- Speed: An aurochian’s base land speed is 40 ft.
- Racial Skills: Aurochians have a +2 racial bonus on Profession (Farmer), Profession (Sailor), and Survival checks.
- Armor Class: +1 natural armor (+2 if female)
- Natural Weapons: Aurochians have horns that allow them to make gore attacks. Female horns are smaller, and their gore attacks deal damage as if they were a size category smaller (1d6 + 1½ Str modifier). Male horns are large enough to deal damage appropriate for their size (1d8 + 1½ Str). Regardless of the size, they deal double damage on a successful charge attack made with their horns.
- Special Abilities: A lesser aurochian has the following special abilities:
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Horns (Ex): Aurochians with horns large enough to gore can not wear hats or helmets, or any other similar headgear both magical and mundane, unless custom tailored to fit their horns.
- Hooves (Ex): Aurochians cloven hooves prevent them being able to wear boots that many humanoids enjoy, both magical and mundane. They may wear items in that slot if they are appropriately designed to accomodate hooves, however.
- Gnoll Nemeses (Ex): Lesser aurochians have a +1 Racial bonus on attack rolls against Gnolls.
- Powerful Build (Ex): A creature with this ability's physical stature lets it function in many ways as if it were one size category larger. Whenever it is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), it is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to it. It is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect it. It can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, its space and reach remain those of a creature of its actual size. The benefits of this trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Weapon Proficiency: Aurochians are proficient with scimitars, scythes, and sickles.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Auran, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, Terran.
- Favored Class: Barbarian (Male) or Druid (Female).
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Aurochian Specific Feats
Aurochians in Other Settings
Aurochians as a people did not exist until the god war. However, as humans and minotaurs can be found in nearly any time period, it is plausible that aurochians could exist as well.
|Aberration • Construct • Dragon • Elemental • Fey • Giant • Humanoid • Monstrous Humanoid • Outsider • Plant • Undead|
|Arthropodian • Aurochian • Enhanced • Irradiated • Living Construct • Living Dead • Reptilian|